Friday, March 15, 2013

A Bunch of Old Books

I brought home a haul of reading from the Cobb County Library's Used Book Sale last week, mostly history. Not a bad pile for $18.50.

One in particular caught my eye as I was about to embark on a journey as a pursuer of old roads: Touring the Backroads of North and South Georgia by Victoria and Frank Logue.




Growing up with Sherman invading my front yard (give or take two or three miles), I devoured the Atlanta Campaign all through middle and high school, but as I got older I began to take the history at hand for granted as I moved on to stories elsewhere. (I won't say how long it's been since I've been to Kennesaw Mountain, but the last time I went, there were no signs about the cell phone tour because there were no cell phones). Since I'm going to be blogging about a lot of the sights associated with the campaign, it would probably be a good idea to brush up on the details. This is a volume I've checked out of the library several times, so I snatched it up: War So Terrible: Sherman and Atlanta by James Lee McDonough and James Pickett Jones. I've already consulted it writing my next post.

The next Used Book Sale will be October 11-13, 2013 at Jim R. Miller Park, 2245 Callaway Rd., Marietta, GA.

And speaking of Jim R. Miller Park, as many times as I have been to the North Georgia State Fair, I never knew until I parked next to them the other day that the site offered RV parking: several very scenic sites  ... beside the lake adjacent to the mountain of trash at the Cobb County landfill.


But it looks pretty at least. 

No comments:

Post a Comment