Monday, June 10, 2013

What Turkeys Think



Yes. I now know what turkeys think.

How, you ask?

One told me.

It amounted to, "Gobble, gobble, gobble. Gobble-gobble-gobble, gobble, gobble. Gobble."

He said a lot more than that, but that was the gist of it. And no, I'm not going to translate. This is a family-friendly blog.

It's not unusual for me to see turkeys in my field, or even in my yard. But this is the first time I've ever had one run up and start yelling at me.

I noticed this guy when I started out yesterday afternoon to go back to church, so I grabbed my phone to take a few pictures from inside the house because I thought he would run for the woods as soon as I opened the door.

Silly me.







After a few shots, he started migrating toward the woods, so I assumed the show was about to conclude.

Silly, silly me.



I headed out toward the car and when he didn't run, I decided to snap a couple of closer shots from the walk, then I got in my car and started backing toward the turn-around past the two big oak trees, confident that he would definitely run now.

Silly, silly, silly me.

That's when I heard the first tirade start. I stopped to see where he was because he had been well beyond the driveway when I started backing, and I knew I didn't hit him.

Oh, he ran all right. To the car.

The next thing I knew, there was a humongous turkey running up to my window to yell at me. For quite a while. He was highly displeased with me, and let me know about it, threatening to attack the car.

Silly me. I thought it was my driveway. I am, after all, the one who gets the tax bill.

Silly, silly, silly, silly me.

Unfortunately, I had already put my phone away. After a minute of two of yelling at me from right outside my door, and optimistically hoping he wasn't going to jump through the window after I rolled it down, I reached for my phone again. By the time I got the camcorder on, he had walked around in front of the car, still yelling and giving me what for. Eventually, he headed on across the yard toward the woods, still grumbling and complaining the entire way.

video



No comments:

Post a Comment