Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Where the Name "Old Roads Once Traveled" Came From




My sixth month anniversary slipped by me last week without me noticing, but I plead sleep deprivation and the insanely busy schedule of the National Quartet Convention.

Back on March 14, 2013, I began this blog not really knowing what I was doing or how to go about it, but I did know where I was coming from. In my second post, Maps, I wrote about my love affair with maps and old roads and the history on them.

I really didn't explain the title "Old Roads Once Traveled", or where it came from. I had originally planned to title the blog "Roads Once Traveled", but that name was taken. So I stuck an "Old" in front of it, Blogger said okey-dokey, and "Old Roads Once Traveled" it became. I actually like that name a lot better. It's more descriptive of my interests and my focus.

I use my real name on Yahoo! Contributor Network, but when I joined Squidoo and Bubblews, I needed a screen name. Since I really like the blog title, I used OldRoadsOnceTraveled for consistency.

I'm still trying to build up content on Squidoo, Bubblews, and Yahoo! Contributor Network. So far, all I have on Squidoo that relates to the "Old Roads" theme is Jamestown, Meet Shirley Plantation's Cat, Tunnah, and possibly My Grandfather's Songs: The Music of John H. Craton. But after twenty posts on Bubblews, I still had nothing other than my introduction to link the screen name to what I write about.

Okay, I did admit to pondering whether any forensic investigation had been done on the cat hair on Robert E. Lee's sofa at Arlington, but other than that.

So, I did what any wise writer would do.

I posted the explanation so that I could get paid for explaining it. I also explained where my profile picture came from.

Here's the teaser:

How I Chose My Screen Name Old Roads Once Traveled

I've written novels ever since … actually, I have no idea. I can't remember not writing them. I've never actually completed one, but I've started tons.

I've always been drawn towards writing a trek story, and that theme has wormed its way into a number of novels that it probably had no place being there, so when I started my latest novel, I decided it would only be about the journey, and it would be a modern-day trek centered around the Oregon Trail. It still doesn't have a title carved in stone, but the working title is The Road Once Taken.


To find out the original title of the novel, you'll have to click on "Read More", because I'm not admitting to it twice.
 




 




 

1 comment: