Friday, March 20, 2015

Goodbye, Winter

winter sky, oak tree


On this first day of spring, I thought I would bid winter farewell with a photo review.

It's been a cold and wet winter with more than average snow, which in North Georgia means we actually had snow. Several times, in fact, with it actually sticking where I live a couple of times. The dustings weren't all they were predicted to be, and they certainly weren't the snow events we had in 2014, but they still provided a little novelty and a few photos.

snow, Old Roads Once Traveled, The Guiness Blog
snow, Old Roads Once Traveled, The Guiness Blog

snow, Old Roads Once Traveled, The Guiness Blog

blooms in snow, Old Roads Once Traveled
My neighbor's bush was blooming during this February snow.
snow on pine tree

crocus in snow and ice

My poor crocuses froze during the sleet and freezing rain, thawed, then froze again. I thought for sure they were killed, but I hadn't counted on how hardy the tiny little flowers are. Check out their amazing recovery in You Can't Keep a Good Crocus Down.

crocus in snow


crocus in snow

The last snow storm went from boom to bust in an afternoon. But before it turned into freezing rain, it was a glorious site to watch. The part about big flakes was about all the forecasters managed to get right about this storm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48J0pUdR9w8&feature=youtu.be

Goodbye, winter. You weren't everything I had hoped for, but you did offer a Southern girl a little excitement.


Guiness the Cat snowed on

2 comments:

  1. I'm not surprised Guiness wanted in. It looks very chilly. Those shots of the frozen crocuses (crocii?) are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guiness does NOT like snow. I captured his typical reaction to it on this video:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4yFzxgRyr0

      Delete